My posts often have embedded tweets and YouTube videos. Conversations start on Twitter and then make their way into blog posts, where the tweets are cited. These days, a whole lot of journalism and advocacy features embedded tweets.
Here’s a sample of what my posts with embeds and videos looks like in the iOS app.
Newlines have been stripped. This is an uneditable, run-on mess. I don’t even try to edit this for fear of messing something up. The iOS app is not a valid option for editing the kind of posts I write.
Unfortunately, neither is Calypso in mobile Safari. When a video is present, the text overflows the viewport. (Notice also the blank space below the title.)
If I pinch to zoom all the text into view, I get this.
This overflow and zooming is caused by embedded videos.
The video overflow is not the only frustration. The Twitter embeds do a jittering resize dance that interferes with scrolling and cursor placement. I’m too tired to do a screencast, so here’s a static shot of two tweets that exhibit the behavior.
Most of my posts contain embedded tweets. I think that is fairly typical of self-advocates bringing social media discussions into their posts. Many of my posts contain a related video or two from other self-advocates. Between embedded tweets and videos, I cannot edit my posts on my phone with either the iOS app or Calypso. I have to get out my laptop. I’m disabled, in chronic pain, and spend much of my time in bed. My phone is my primary device. I use my laptop only when I have to, which seems to be whenever I want to publish or edit posts on wordpress.com. Many of my posts are living documents that I continually update. I cannot update them from my phone using either the app or the web.
Other problems with editing on the mobile web (some of which apply to desktop too):
- The editor toolbar is not pinned
- Sometimes embeds load as blank placeholders.
- Embeds cause reflow as the load, stomping vertical scroll postion and cursor postition.
- Scroll bleed in settings menu.
- Scroll bleed in preview.
- The author selector doesn’t dismiss with outside taps.
- Info bubbles in the settings sidebar sometimes run offscreen.
- Jittery embed reflow when switching from HTML back to Visual.
- Losing vscroll and cursor position when toggling settings.
- Settings opening scrolled down to the bottom.