A quick personal parity audit. Things in wp-admin that I miss the most in Calypso:
- The wp-admin editor keeps the Visual and Text tabs visible on screen when vscrolling. I can switch between the two without losing cursor position in the Visual tab. This is a big deal for me, as I often switch between the two modes to work around editor bugs and add ids to headers.
- Cmd+z undo is smooth in wp-admin, but causes jerky reflow and vscroll loss in Calypso.
- The wp-admin media modal offers filtering the media library down to “images uploaded to this post”. Without this filter, editing media for an old post requires scrolling through the media lib history looking for the right images. #2136
- wp-admin has a reverse order button in the gallery editor #339
- wp-admin offers an image edit modal accessed from an inline toolbar in the editor. This allows access to alt text flow. Calypso’s lack of alt text handling in drag-and-drop flow is an accessibility issue. #307
- Revisions opens in wp-admin. Editors should have great revisions flow.
- The wordpress.com customizer does not offer theme switching. When first setting up a site, I want to experiment with different themes without leaving the live preview context.
- The wp-admin editor allows inserting media in the HTML editor. I need this to workaround bad image flow in the visual editor. #1295
- Bulk edit. I occasionally need it for changing taxonomy. #8344
- HTML editor toolbar #308
- I find myself back in wp-admin often for comment moderation. Landing here is always startling. What level of disorientation do Calypso users experience the first time they follow a link in a comment moderation email and see wp-admin?
Smoother Cmd+z, the Visual and Text tabs staying on screen during vscroll, and image insertion from the HTML editor make wp-admin a more productive editor for me. Respect vscroll. Avoid scroll, scan, correlate cycles.